Plumber (Estates - Works Department)
The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple - City of London
Salary - Circa £27,500 plus excellent benefits
Full Time, Permanent Contract
About the Middle Temple
Middle Temple is one of the four Inns of Court, responsible for the training and qualification of barristers. It also manages a large commercial estate within the City of London from which barristers practice. Other facilities of the Inn include an Elizabethan Dining Hall, meeting rooms, a renowned legal library, a large garden, and the historic Temple Church. The Inn has approximately 7,000 practising members (mainly barristers and judges) and about 500 students of various nationalities studying for the Bar.
- Identification and repair of plumbing faults that arise on a day-to-day basis. This includes domestic hot and cold water systems, waste & soil drainage and surface water drainage above and below ground.
- Undertaking the installation of new plumbing systems where necessary. This may include working in conjunction with outside contractors or overseeing installations by others.
- Advising contractors on the modification of existing systems and undertaking inspection and testing on completion.
- Maintaining sufficient stock plumbing items to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the Plumbing section.
- Assisting specialist mechanical contractors in the installation of components to the Inn’s boiler plant.
- Assisting the Senior Plumber to ensure that appointed contractors maintain accurate records of boiler servicing and repair.
- Responsibility for programming and planning of plumbing work, in consultation with the Senior Plumber.
- Setting out pipe work for new installations from supplied drawings.
- Providing temporary supplies for functions and events held within Middle Temple Hall and surrounding gardens. This includes stand-by duty at certain events e.g. Inns of Court Summer Ball.
- Carrying out faultfinding and minor repairs to catering equipment located in the Hall kitchens. These are usually repairs required at short notice, which fall outside a standard maintenance contract.
- Undertaking periodic inspection of all fire hydrants located within the Middle Temple and carrying out any necessary remedial repairs.
- Undertaking routine cleaning and maintenance of the surface water gullies situated within Middle Temple.
- Resetting heating boilers, gas pumps and pressurisation units to central boiler plant after power failures.
- Assisting the Inn’s electrical staff in the repair and installation of domestic electrical hot water systems and shower units.
- Undertaking all other plumbing works, not previously specified above, as directed by the Estates Office.
- To be flexible in the working environment. This means to stay behind and come in early sometimes when an emergency needs to be addressed. There will be the need for weekend working from time to time as some tasks can only be carried out when there is reduced activity on the Estate.
City & Guilds 6189 Level 3 qualification or an equivalent recognized time served apprenticeship qualification
Completed a training course for the L8 regs as they apply to heating and hot and cold water systems
- Sound knowledge of traditional plumbing materials and methods.
- Worked as a maintenance plumber for a number of years. Can provide examples of troubleshooting situations where problems have been overcome.
- Experience of working on Listed Buildings.
- Ideally a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar working environment
- Familiarity with monitoring a BMS system
- Knowledge of both domestic and commercial heating and Air-conditioning plant.
- Knowledge of hot and cold water systems.
- General fault finding on both of the above.
- To be able to work with all forms of lead. This may include, Lead burning, jointing pipes and sheet lead work to roofs etc.
- Copper brazing and metal welding.
- Sheet copper and zinc work
- Ability to work flexibly and to carry out any other reasonable duties in line with the post as may be required from time to time.
- Ability to operate effectively as part of a small team and get on with people of all levels.
- Calm under pressure, patient and measured
- Collaborative, co-operative and able to make and sustain positive relationships with colleagues at management and other levels
- Able to win trust and respect of colleagues.
- Methodical and highly organised.
This job description reflects the current situation. It does not preclude change or development that might be required in the future. The list of duties is not exhaustive. The position of a duty on the list is not necessarily indicative of its importance.
All of the staff in the Estates maintenance team are highly motivated. This role is for someone who will identify problems, assist with improvements and will not let things pass them by. The role is varied and interesting and will provide a high level of job satisfaction to the successful applicant.