Materials & Procurement Buyer (Construction)
Devise Construction is an experienced and trusted regional building contractor based in Wymondham, Norfolk. We employ modern building technologies to create the homes and offices of tomorrow, whilst relying on traditional craftsmanship to restore stunning buildings from a bygone era.
An excellent opportunity for a Materials & Procurement Buyer to join the company in an office based role procuring all the materials required for building our projects and ensure they are provided on time and within allocated budgets.
You will play a vital role, as you ensure the profitability of our construction contracts, by purchasing the most cost-effective and appropriate materials for each job with full support by the company's Contracts Manager and Quantity Surveyor.
Your day to day job duties will comprise as follows:
● Providing prices for all materials included in project plans and drawings
● Identifying potential suppliers and new products
● Contacting a range of suppliers and sub‐contractors to obtain quotations
● Agreeing delivery times
● Keeping detailed records and maintaining well‐organised work schedules
● Assessing the reliability of sub‐contractors and suppliers
● Dealing effectively with challenges with suppliers and the flow of materials
● Ensuring compliance with the safety, health and environment requirements of materials and services
● Providing advice to the project estimator and quantity surveyor on the predicted cost of individual items
● Liaising closely with the estimator and quantity surveyor at the tendering stage to ensure that an accurate project cost is provided
● Preparing and maintaining cost reports for material orders
● Negotiating and agreeing the most favourable terms possible with suppliers once a contract has been secured
The ideal candidate will possess the skills as follows:
● Knowledge and understanding of construction materials
● Good communication skills
● Strong maths and budgeting abilities
● Analytical thinking skills
● Negotiation skills
● Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
You should hold at least one of the below;
● A foundation degree, higher national diploma (HND) or an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, such as business studies, purchasing logistics, or supply chain management.
● 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) in Maths and English, at Level 4 or above as the role requires a good standard of numeracy and literacy.
● An NVQ or HND in supply chain or construction management
This is a full-time position within the company with office hours 08:30 to 17:00 Monday to Friday. The office is based in Wymondham, Norfolk.
● Salary £30,000 - £40,000 (depending on experience)
● 28 days holiday per annum, including bank holidays
● Company pension scheme
● Holiday buy back scheme
● FlexiDay (For key family moments)
● Ongoing Continued Professional Development (CPD)
● Regular performance and salary reviews